Sunday, November 17, 2013

Food Budget




My hardest goal to meet is our food budget.  I just can't seem to figure out what is normal for a family our size or what we can afford to spend.  I used to buy groceries before everything and blow our budget, now I buy after but still manage to blow our budget.
A few months ago I signed up for Mint.com.  Mint.com is a website that links to your accounts and keeps track of your spending.  Its free, so I signed up.  I linked the account I wanted to keep track of and maybe checked it a few times..then I forgot about it.
A week ago, I decided to log back in.  I then used one of the tools available that shows you in graph form where your money went.  I went back to October and checked our food expenditures.  Anything I labeled as food or was automatically labeled by the site as food purchases were added into the portion of the graph.  Wow, was I surprised when I saw the totals.  I had just commented to someone that maybe we spend $800 to $900 in food..including fast food..oh boy, was I wrong.  My total for the month of October was over $1500.
$1500!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a lot of money.  Almost double the amount I though I had spent..DOUBLE.
What a rude awakening.  No wonder our budget is so out of control.  I had no idea it was so much.  I had no clue what I was spending.  
I made our December budget yesterday.  I only budgeted $600 for the whole month.  Is that reasonable, is it realistic?  I am not sure but I know it can't be much more because our goals to pay off debt are very important to us.  Very important.  I am hoping that $300 twice a month is going to cut it.  And only eating out 2 times a month. Hmmm..we don't have much luck with limiting the eating out.  But, we have to be strict.  
I'm a little curious about November, not because I expect much difference, but because I was becoming more aware of what I was spending.  Apparently, not as aware as I thought.  
It would be interesting to see though.


No comments:

Post a Comment