Thursday, September 12, 2013

schedules

I have tried and tried and tried to work on schedules.  I have purchased numerous planners, all kinds.  Mom planners, executive planners, home school planners, large family planners..you name it I probably purchased.  Here's the problem:  I have never ever used one consistently.
I've tried to create one on the computer. I've tried to use notebooks, pretty markers, nice paper, ordinary paper,  3 ring binders, notebooks, note pads. I have tried everything and I am still not organized.  So, I took a hard look, where I didn't want to look.  In the mirror.  I can't make planners work for me if I don't follow through with the plan.  LIGHT BULB moment.
I've got my AHA moment, so, now what.  Well, I need to get yours truly to work on being organized, on following through, on getting up and doing something.
I am starting small.

  • step one:  Figure out my mornings.
This might be easy for all you type A personalities.  I am more like a type X or Z personality.  I am trying to move up the alphabet a little.  Here's the thing.  I WANT  to do everything, I PLAN to do everything but normally do nothing.  

Here's my plan and also my problem
I plan to have my morning routine become a habit by only adding a few steps at a time.  Easy right?  Well, you would think. My problem is my night time routine.  I normally go to sleep very very late due to habit and that hubby works late and comes home late.  But, I want to get up early and get a good start on my day.  Problem 2.  I do get up early to take my kids to seminary which starts at 6 am.
What's the problem?  Why can't I just stay up and get my day moving?  Well, because I probably went to bed at 2 am and 3 1/2 hours will not cut it for sleep.  I get up at 5:30 am, rush to get ready and make it to seminary at 6 am.

So, many of you might see the obvious problem there, but not Miss.  I have to follow the schedule to the T.  Nope.  I just peter out and feel terrible for failing.  I think I have come up with a solution.
Come home, SLEEP, and then start your schedule.
Wow, could it be that easy?  Can I schedule myself to sleep and then get up refreshed and start the day on my terms?
Remember, I homeschool and that gives me that luxury.  I am sure if I had to send kids to school in the morning, I would just sleep after they left.  Hey, I need my sleep.  I need at least 8 hours.
Going to bed early is not an option because I would never see my hubby, and I won't see him in the early AM because he works early most days too.  So, that is not an option.
Well, I have gotten some idea for my morning routine:

  • Get up (no time posted)
  • pray
  • read scriptures
  • family devotional
I have given this schedule to the little's so they too can start their mornings on a schedule.  One extra thing for them is to make beds and tidy their room.
I am using a new type of program that is helping me think this through.  Its called Managers of their home.
I'm still reading through it and working on a schedule but it has helped me THINK about a schedule and how our life and family works.  One thing I learned is to remember that a schedule will go through lots of changes.  Another great thing I learned is to let God guide you.  Hmm?  So true.

How's it going you ask?  Well, its going.  Its not a habit yet but I am giving us a week before we add another task to our morning routine.  

Remember, we are not robots, we are human beings who are 1. Imperfect and 2.  well, human.
I'll keep you updated
What is your morning routine?  Is it consistent or are you a fly by the seat of your pants person? 




No comments:

Post a Comment